Arnold Mitchem/Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship
The Arnold Mitchem/Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship was founded and funded initially by the Wisconsin chapter of EOA. The award is to assist students pursuing Master’s Degree, Ed.D, or Doctorate Degree. (It does not include terminal or professional degrees.) Fellowship recipients will be designated as Mitchem Graduate Fellows. The applicant selected by the Chapter Scholarship Committee will be the recipient for that Chapter, no further review.
One award of $1,000 to each WISCONSIN and INDIANA Chapters. The scholarship awards are distributed based on the existing Chapter rotation schedule.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Be a current TRIO/EOP program participant during the scholarship award year;
- Plan to enroll in graduate school as a full-time student (minimum of 9 credits per semester or 12 credits per quarter) by the fall semester immediately following application competition (verification of enrollment will need to be provided in the fall if chosen as a scholarship recipient)
- Be a student whose goal is to obtain a master's and/or doctoral degree from an accredited college or university.
*NOTE: Students enrolled in the following programs shall NOT be eligible: Law School, MBA Program, Medical School (except joint M.D/Ph.D. programs), Veterinary Medicine (except joint Vet/Med Ph.D. programs) and Labor and Industrial Relations (except joint LIR/Ph.D. programs)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 in undergraduate school
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA and WISCONSIN and INDIANA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (One from Nominator and the other from a faculty member) The letters can be emailed to the nominator and the nominator will coordinate with the student to upload to them
- Verification that the student is actively enrolled in a graduate program at a four-year college or university (e.g. current course schedule) and verification of current Grade Point Average (e.g. unofficial transcript)
- Signed Photo Release Form
- Student essay (double-spaced and not exceeding 2 pages) describing:
1. Evidence of community and/or leadership involvement
2. Evidence of multicultural activities and contributions
3. Your commitment to academic excellence
4. Your graduate and professional goals
5. How TRIO/EOP has impacted your academic journey
6. Your plan to give back to the EOA organization, nominating TRIO/EOP program, high school, college or community
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later. It is advised you prepare all application materials prior to applying as the system will time you out for inactivity and all progress will be lost and unrecoverable.
Click your Chapter link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
WISCONSIN: (Due March 2, 2020)
INDIANA: (Due March 2, 2020)
Mitchem/McNair Scholarship Recipients
2020 Heather A. Dillion Mount Mary University SSS, WI
2019 Breanne Sande-Martin Augsburg University
2018 Ana Hernandez Southern Illinois University McNair, IL
Trevin Garcia Kansas State University McNair, MKN
2017 No recipient
2015 Justin Christopher University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Lee Yang University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, LaCrosse, WI
Larry Davis University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
Siblee Salamon Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
2014 Audreanna Shannon Western MI University in Counseling Education/Psychology
Amanda Moua University of Minnesota - Twin Cities MSW Program