James B Hamilton & Thomas G Mortenson Student Research Award
Dr. James Hamilton (1933-1994) was a strong supporter of TRiO and EOP programs developing research and data to support the importance of programs and services for low-income and first-generation students. Mr. Thomas G. Mortenson is a Senior Scholar at the Pell Institute. He edits and publishes Postsecondary Education Opportunity (PEO), a monthly research newsletter devoted to analysis and reporting on the demographics and socio-political nature of educational opportunity after high school.
One award of $1,000. The EOA Foundation will make one award for the best student proposal for research consistent with the goals and purpose of EOA.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
1. Be a current participant or recent graduate of a TRIO/EOP program (within 2 years).
2. Be enrolled as a full-time student by the fall semester immediately following application competition Note: Full-time enrollment verification required. (Undergrad-12 hours Graduate- 9 hours per semester or 12 hours per quarter).
3. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
4. Be conducting a research project that is consistent with the goals and purposes of EOA.
5. Be nominated by a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
Application Materials: Email packet to directly to email@example.com
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Two Letters of Recommendation from Nominator
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form and an uploaded headshot
- Research Proposal that Includes (5 pages max):
I. Researcher contact Information (Name, Address, Email, Phone, Institution,
Research Advisor’s Name, Email, Institution)
II. Project Title
III. Project Summary
IX. Dissemination plan for research results (including but not limited to undergraduate research forum, online journal submission, McNair Conference, Discipline Specific Conference, etc. )
X. Supplemental Materials: IRB Approval, Institutional or TRIO/EOP Director’s Approval, etc.
-Final Report: submitted by May 15 of the following year with a description of project status, timeline of completion, expenditures and final dissemination.
2020 Qabzib Hang University of Minnesota-Twin Cities SSS